II has been meeting with people with intellectual disabilities and their families around the world to talk about the development of a global self-advocacy strategy. The strategy will launch in October 2016 in Orlando, USA, at our 2016 General Assembly and International conference Today’s Challenges, Tomorrow’s Opportunities co-hosted by The Arc of the United States.
The strategy will be informed by the messages and perspectives of people with intellectual disabilities and their families. It will include:
- A common understanding and definition of self-advocacy
- A global overview of the State of the World in Self-Advocacy
- Principles of what constitutes good support
- Practical recommendations and tools for supporting and sustaining self-advocacy.
- A platform for connecting and networking
By the end of 2016, national and regional meetings will have been held in:
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Europe, Madrid, Spain
- Indiana, USA
- The Americas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Udaipur, India
- Africa, Blantyre, Malawi
A regional meeting in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region is being planned for early 2016. In advance of Orlando 2016, we invite you to be part of building our global strategy for self-advocacy. A survey is available here and an on-line engagement platform will launch in January 2016. Please vist our site www.inclusion-international.org for further updates.