UPPID – Uganda Parents of Persons with Intellectual Disabilities
Uganda Parents of Children with Learning Disabilities (UPACLED) was registered as a non- governmental organization on 3rd October 1998 by a group of parents of children and youth with intellectual disabilities in Entebbe. It is a pressure group whose aim is to work towards giving a voice to the voiceless and ultimately uplift their welfare by giving them a chance to enjoy their human rights as enshrined in the UN Convention on the Rights of PWDs and in the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda.
An inclusive society where PWIDs and their families have equal access to opportunities.
To support and advocate for inclusion of PWIDs and their families to attain improved standards of living.
In line with the new strategic plan 2013-2017 UPPID will focus on the following thematic areas:
- Strengthening the capacity of UPPID at national and district levels to effectively deliver on its services
- Lobbying and advocating for the inclusion of PWIDs and their families in all development programs based on CRPD
- Promoting Self Advocacy by PWIDs.
- Consolidating the current membership of 12000 parents
- Enhancing socio-economic empowerment programs for PWIDs and their families.
The overall goal is to ensure that the people with intellectual disabilities and their families are exercising their rights by fully participating in the development agenda.
+256 414 320 374