We are running this campaign to draw attention to the issues that people with intellectual disabilities and their families say are the biggest barriers to inclusion.
In March and April 2019 we are focusing the conversation on being Valued Equally.
We demand to be valued and for the discrimination that we face to end.
To be valued, we need:
- an end to abuse and violence
- respect for our rights and choices, including our right to have a relationship and a family
We want to get as many people as possible to hear our message and to take notice of the issue.
When we all come together we have a very loud voice which cannot be ignored.
We want you to be part of change and join the conversation:
We are collecting examples on the different ways in which our members are working to be Valued Equally.
Throughout April, we will share these examples with you to give you some ideas about what you can do to take action and change things.
If you are a member of Inclusion International and would like to share your work, please complete this form.
If you have any images or videos of your project, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or send them via WhatsApp to +447840325771.
Here are some messages you can copy and paste to Twitter to support our efforts. Thank you for sharing these messages so that more people see them.
- WE NEED SUPPORT, NOT PERMISSION. We may need help in making decisions but that does not mean we can’t decide. Take #ActionOnInclusion, demand to be ValuedEqually – http://inclusion-international.org/cta-valued-equally/
- RESPECT OUR RIGHTS, HEAR OUR VOICE, EMPOWER US. We understand our rights and how to fight for inclusion. Support us with our self-advocacy work. Take #ActionOnInclusion, demand to be ValuedEqually – http://inclusion-international.org/cta-valued-equally/
- END DISCRIMINATION We face discrimination in every part of our lives. We are abused and attacked for who we are. This must end. Take #ActionOnInclusion, demand to be ValuedEqually – http://inclusion-international.org/cta-valued-equally/
Click below to download the GIFs and Social Media visuals to help these messages stand out.
You can also write your own message and join the conversation with #ActionOnInclusion #ValuedEqually
To show your support and to make sure more people see our message, you can click the button below to download images to add to your Twitter and Facebook profiles.
Download Profile Banners
If you want to learn more about what it means to be Valued Equally and why it is important you can look at the resources below:
- Empower Us is our global programmes growing self-advocacy around the world.
- Global Report on the Right to Decide