Due to COVID-19, the 13th session of COSP has been postponed. It will now take place from 30 November – 3 December 2020.
The plenary sessions will be webcast, so everyone can watch live on UN TV.
- 30 Nov: Opening and elections
In-person for member states only (so they can take part in elections)
- 1 Dec: Virtual Round Tables 1 and 2
- 2 Dec: Virtual Civil Society Forum
- 3 Dec: Virtual Closing Session, International Day of Persons with Disabilities celebration and Virtual Round Table 3 featuring speakers from our network (Sue Swenson, Inclusion International President, and Mark Mapemba, Self-advocate representative for Africa)
- 4 Dec: Other virtual side-events
Side events will be organised throughout COSP week (30 Nov – 4 Dec).
The overarching theme of this year’s conference is “A decade of action and delivery for inclusive sustainable development: implementing the CRPD and the 2030 Agenda for all persons with disabilities”.
The Sub-themes for the 3 round-tables are:
- Disability and business: realizing the right to work in open, inclusive and accessible environments for persons with disabilities.
- Addressing the rights and needs of older persons with disabilities: ageing and demographic trends
- Promoting Inclusive environments for the full implementation of the CRPD
The cross-cutting theme is: Strengthening capacity – building to fully implement the CRPD and the SDGs for persons with disabilities, in particular women and girls with disabilities.
We highly encourage you to participate in this year’s session as the virtual setting provides a unique option for people who would not normally have the opportunity to participate.
Last year, our network had over 30 representatives from 12 different countries participating in COSP. People with intellectual disabilities and their families were also well represented during the plenary sessions. We hope to have even more representatives this year!
We have applied to host and co-host side-events related to the following topics: The Listen, Include, Respect Inclusive Participation Guidelines, The impact of COVID-19 on people with intellectual disabilities, political participation, inclusive education and the Official Development Assistance.
To attend the side-events, you need to be registered through an accredited organisation. As a member of Inclusion International, you can register through us! Please let us know if you are interested in attending the side-events by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before Monday 23rd November.
If you are involved in other side sessions with your government or other organisations, please share it with us so we can let others know.