On April 25th, 2017 the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities issued its Draft General Comment on Article 19 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD). Article 19 specifically addresses living independently and being included in the community. The General Comment is an important interpretation of the rights contained within the CRPD, and provides guidance and recommendations to States on the implementation of those rights.
Some of the key issues that are included in this Draft General Comment are:
- The right to be able to choose where to live and with whom
- Institutionalisation, including the lack of strategies and plans to close institutions
- Denial of legal capacity
- The lack services to support living independently and being included in community
- Negative attitudes, stigma and stereotypes that prevent persons with disabilities from being included in the community
The Draft General Comment on Article 19: The right to Living independently and being included in the community is open for comment and Inclusion International will be submitting our response. As with previous Draft General Comments, we will be working with our members in developing our response and supporting members to make their own submissions. The deadline to respond to the Draft General Comment on Article 19 is the 30th June 2017.
We will be hosting a webinars on the General Comment on 24th May at 9:00-10:00 EST (click here for Time Zone converter)
The purpose of the webinar is to:
- Hear from our members about their experiences related to statements in the text
- Discuss issues of concern within the draft
- Hear from members who are preparing a submission about their key issues of focus
- Answer questions and support our members to respond directly to the General Comment.