We are running this campaign to draw attention to the issues that people with intellectual disabilities and their families say are the biggest barriers to inclusion.
In September and October 2019 we are focusing the conversation on Families.
We demand that families are supported, included and valued.
We want to get as many people as possible to hear our message and to take notice of the issue.When we all come together we have a very loud voice which cannot be ignored.
We want you to be part of change and join the conversation:
Our movement has knowledge, evidence and experience supporting families. We want to hear about the process for you. Share your experiences and challenges with our network.
We are collecting examples on the different ways in which our members are working to make families feel supported and valued. We will share these examples with you to give you some ideas about what you can do to take action and change things.
If you have any images or videos of your project, please email them to email@example.com or send them via WhatsApp to +447840325771.
Here are some messages you can copy and paste to Twitter to support our efforts. Thank you for sharing these messages so that more people see them.
- Families with children with disabilities need support, information and advocacy. They require information and services to ensure their children are included in the community. Take #ActionOnInclusion, #SupportFamilies – https://inclusion-international.org/call-to-action-supporting-families/
- The major source of support and care which people with intellectual disabilities receive is from their families yet families receive little or no support from communities or governments. Take #ActionOnInclusion, #SupportFamilies – https://inclusion-international.org/call-to-action-supporting-families/
- With the right support, we can make a family of our own! People with intellectual disabilities have the right to make their own decisions about marriage and children. Take #ActionOnInclusion, #SupportFamilies – https://inclusion-international.org/call-to-action-supporting-families/
- Families should be visible and valued for their expertise. It’s important families and family-led organisations are consulted and included in decision-making processes. Take #ActionOnInclusion, #SupportFamilies – https://inclusion-international.org/call-to-action-supporting-families/
- The vast majority of people with intellectual disabilities live at home with their families with little or no services or support to the individual. Take #ActionOnInclusion, #SupportFamilies – https://inclusion-international.org/call-to-action-supporting-families/
Brothers and sisters play an important role in supporting people with intellectual disabilities. We need their voices to be heard and supported. Take #ActionOnInclusion, #SupportFamilies – https://inclusion-international.org/call-to-action-supporting-families/
Click below to download the GIFs and Social Media visuals to help these messages stand out.
You can also write your own message and join the conversation with #ActionOnInclusion #SupportFamilies
To show your support and to make sure more people see our message, you can click the button below to download images to add to your Twitter and Facebook profiles.
If you want to learn more you can look at the resources below:
- Focus on Families Supporting People with Intellectual Disabilities Flyer
- UN Human Rights Council Intersessional seminar on the protection of the family Report
- Inclusion International Discussion Paper: Focus onFamilies of Persons with Intellectual Disabilities