Essential Elements to Promote Inclusive Education
This guide advocates for global inclusive education for children with intellectual disabilities, introducing the Catalyst for Inclusive Education programme. Key elements for fostering inclusive schools are highlighted, including:
- A visionary approach that supports children with intellectual disabilities in regular classes.
- Legal considerations, emphasizing the need for national laws and policies supporting inclusive education.
- Inclusive school practices, promoting a culture of respect, cooperation, and minimal physical barriers.
- Classroom strategies such as differentiated lessons, individualized learning plans, and peer support.
- Collaborative advocacy at individual, community, and national levels, engaging various stakeholders.
The document stresses the importance of sustained efforts and collaborative partnerships to address challenges in teacher training, resource allocation, and societal attitudes.
It encourages a collective approach involving advocacy groups, parents, educators, community leaders, and governmental bodies for the realisation of inclusive education for children with intellectual disabilities.